Not all of our members have elected to list their practices on this site. Some of our members are students or trainees and are not currently in private practice.
All of the mental health professionals listed below claim to carry the principles of Open Minds into their work. All of our members have also agreed to abide by the ethical guidelines of our respective disciplines.
However, please understand that Open Minds has not reviewed, investigated or evaluated any of the mental health professionals who list themselves with our organization. We make no guarantee as to the qualifications or the competence of those listed on our site.
Ali Kimmell, LCSW
- LCSW | 67173
- | (if applicable)
- 5297 College Ave Oakland, California 94618
- (510) 394-2492
About Ali Kimmell LCSW
- Alternative Sexuality & Lifestyle, Anger Management, Anxiety/Panic, BDSM/Kink, Couples/Relationship Counseling, Creativity, Depression, Fetishism, Grief & Loss, Immigration/Acculturation, LGBQIA, Men's Concerns, Parenting, Polyamory & Alt. Relationship Configurations, Race/Ethnicity and Culture, Sexual Dysfunction, Spirituality, Trans and Gender Non-conforming, Trauma/PTSD, Women's Concerns
- ADA Accessible Office, Supervision/Consultation
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Experiential/Somatic Therapy, Feminist, Group Therapy
- Out of Network
- Cisgender Female
- Jewish, White/European American
I specialize in group therapy and have several poly, LQBTQ, and kink affirmative mixed gender process groups. I work to create an affirming and knowledgeable place for poly, LGBTQ, and kink folks as well as clients with a diverse range of racial and spiritual identities. I enjoy working with relationships of all constellations to refine and support the details of their poly relationship as well as provide a safe space for poly relationships/individuals to work on other issues without fear of having their open relationship pathologized.
I treat your decision to enter therapy with respect and curiosity. I use a warm and collaborative approach to help you find connection, relief, and fulfillment in your life. I adjust my approach to meet each client's unique needs and the problems they are facing. My work is grounded in a psychodynamic and relational approach: that is, I believe that lasting change comes from exploring and ultimately freeing oneself from the underlying causes of current symptoms. Together, we will discover the patterns that are holding you back, and experiment with new ways of being.
I work with people looking for greater satisfaction in their relationships or a clearer sense of purpose and meaning in their lives but who feel held back by repetitive patterns and beliefs. Many of my clients are very good at thinking but feel cut off from their emotional experience. I also incorporate somatic and mindfulness techniques when appropriate, especially in cases of trauma.